Hotel Management – Meaning:
One must have an expertise knowledge in one of the above components of HM (Hotel Management).
Tasks of a Hotel Manager :
- A hotel manager plans and supervises entertainment activities held at the hotel like receptions, birthday parties, etc.
- She/he may also have to look after reservation, reception, room service and housekeeping activities in the hotel.
- Other activities may include – arranging the beds of each rooms, changing towels and collecting trash.
- A hotel manager also supervises the security arrangements, as well as take reasonable care of hotel assets.
- She/he may supervise all the activities in the bar, restaurant, conference and function rooms, and ensure the compliance of the hotel with existing and current occupational health and safety regulations.
- Finance & marketing activities also falls under her/him.
- There are other specialised departments as well like food services, clubbing services, security services, HR, and so on.
Hotel Management – Career:
HM courses have high demand in the market, but supply is comparatively less. Who doesn’t wish to work in huge 5-star hotels and resorts. Every second student goes for Hotel Management, esspecially in India. It is a 4-year graduation course. One can also pursue HM certificate/diploma course.
Do you also want to pursue HM course?
- Min. 50% marks in XII or depending on the HM institute.
- Good moral character
- Communication skills
- Robust health
- Proper knowledge
- Management skills
- Some govt. also conduct entrance tests for admission.
Top Institutes For HM in India and Other Foreign Countries:
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Mumbai
- School of Hotel Administration, New York
- Imperial Hotel Management College, Vancouver
- Auckland University of Technology, Auckland
- Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester
- Institute of Hotel Management Catering & Nutrition, New Delhi
- The School of Hospitality Business, East Lansing
- Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School
HM Designated Posts:
- Executive Chef
- Assisstant Manager
- Front Office Manager
- Food & Beverage Manager
- Events Manager
- Floor Supervisors
- Marketing Manager
- Finance Manager
- Personnel Manager
The basic pay of a HM depends upon his post/designation. It varies around 2-2.3 lacs (INR) yearly.