Who is a fashion stylist?
A Fashion Stylist can be referred to as a celebrity stylist, wardrobe stylist, or fashion editor. It is related to the expertise of selecting accessories, hair & makeup to create a desired personality for characters in T.V commercials & movies, models for ramp presentation, fashion shoots and so on.
More and more avenues are opening up to apply this expertise in corporate trainings, personal shopping, image makeovers and blogs. Fashion design, on the other hand is designing and developing fashion clothing.
What fashion stylists actually do? What is their job?
- Select clothing for T.V personalities, models or the wardrobe for movies and commercials.
- Organise & manage fashion events and shows (only a special department i.e., fashion styling & image designing).
- Write blogs on latest fashion trends.
- Provide fashion direction to buyers, merchandisers or product designers.
- Provide services like complete makeup, hair styling, handles wardrobe functions.
- Select items to appear in fashion magazines/media.
Work in the following areas :-
- Commercial styling – styling models/celebrities for commercials and T.V shows
- Editorial styling – magazine/media publcations
- Wardrobe styling – working on movies & concerts
- Corporate styling – corporate uniforms & in-house magazine publications
- Personal shopping – guiding clients/customers
- Catalogue styling – working on product catalogues for businesses
- Merchandise styling – creating displays of products in stores
- Live performance – styling musicians & other people in concerts and others shows
- Professional blog writers – providing information through blogs
Ques.-Is it important to have professional education to be a fashion stylist?
Professional education is required as stylists and image designers are required to have a keen eye for fashion, a sound understanding of society, fashion, culture and art that helps them understand how to use fashion visually and more as a non-verbal language.
Professional practices of the industry & awareness of local & global fashion trends are the key strenghts of stylists. Also, they need to learn & understand the collaborative professional streams such as makeup & hair stylig, photography and CAD(Computer Aided Design) skills to understand their roles and be successful in the professional world.
Students who are interested in this particular field and want to make fashion styling & image designing as a full time profession should look for colleges who have a specialised department in fashion styling & image designing.
Here is the list of leading fashion institutes in India :-
- National Institute Of Fashion Technology, Delhi
- National Institute Of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- Pearl Academy of Fashion, Delhi
- Pearl Academy of Fashion, Jaipur
- National Institute Of Fashion Technology, Chennai
- National Institute Of Fashion Technology, Patna
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
One of the leading institutes for Fashion Styling & Image Designing – Pearl Academy (apply here).
Also check out the earnings of a Fashion Stylist according to payscale.com.